My Magical Retainer…

I’ve been putting off wearing this retainer I got from the dentist last November! I have to wear it for two weeks, day and night. I got it right before Thanksgiving and didn’t want to deal. And I can’t stand the idea of sleeping with something in my mouth.

Well, I finally got it going and it’s been the miracle I’ve been waiting for to help me break my “habit” of wanting to snack all day long. It’s just too difficult. Every time I eat anything, I have to take it out and then floss and brush my teeth and wash it before I put it back in. It’s just not worth it. And man has it made it clear how much mindless eating I do all day long.

Here is a case of using my innate laziness (or exhaustion) work for me. That’s not an opportunity that comes around often.

The most worked out muscle in my body, the Masseter!

Part of why I have to wear this thing is because I clench my jaw constantly and I’m actually breaking my own teeth. That’s pretty intense. Last week I had to go to the dentist because I’d totally broken through an old veneer that was over a root canal. Now I have to pay for a whole crown and they had to put a post in! It actually didn’t hurt, but it sounds awful, doesn’t it? The price tag sure hurts! If I’d known I had all that extra money, I would have bought something much more fun with it.

Wearing this thing also makes me more aware of my clenching. I’m doing it all the time. I know it’s stress related and I’m wondering if some of my stress snacking isn’t just about this motion, chewing.

I’ve let go of trying to understand it before I change it, but I still find it interesting. Maybe understanding will come with the change.

And now, a few of the most bizarre and funniest comments in my spam filter.

Best of the Bizarre:
“Greetings! Mitigate the immature mistress”

Words to live by?
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”

General population:
“Your writing style is so sophisticated that my eyes are almost bleeding, lol…”

“You are similar to the expert)))”

8 Comments on My Magical Retainer…

1. beerab
    April 25, 2011 at 6:24 pm (3 years ago)

I tell my husband that all the time- he chomps at night it drives me crazy to where now I just hit him lol!

Ouch on the dental work- hubby and I had a HUGE bill last time we went I told him next time I’m not paying for him if he doesn’t take care of his teeth!

At least it’s helping you not snack- I’d be keeping that thing longer than 2 weeks! lol

2. Karen
    April 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm (3 years ago)

Years ago a dentist told me I clench my teeth – I had not idea. But he neglected to tell me I must also grind them at night and years later a different dentist introduced me to a night guard. Sigh.

3. Melissa
    April 25, 2011 at 11:31 pm (3 years ago)

My hubby grinds his teeth horribly and has had migraines for years because of it. He ended up getting a night guard custom fit. It was really pricey, but helped alot.

Geez, if I knew it would help curb night time snacking, I might snatch it from him!

Good luck!

4. Cammy@TippyToeDiet
    April 26, 2011 at 12:23 am (3 years ago)

I had to have a post implant a few years ago, and now I need another one. Wish my dentist had suggested the retainer solution.

You are not similar to an expert; you ARE an expert! :)

5. Veronica
    May 1, 2011 at 7:23 pm (3 years ago)

I need a trick like that! A friend has often advised me to chew gum to keep myself from nibbling while cooking but I’ve never done it. Don’t know why! I’m glad the retainer is helping you and keeping you from hurting your teeth further. Love the comments the spam filter catches! So funny!

6. Marsial2010
    May 2, 2011 at 12:32 am (3 years ago)

So, Teresa, could you bring me up to date to where you are in your weight/health plan? You know I’ve been out of touch for a few weeks. I went back and read all of your posts that I missed and saw that you were having a bit of a struggle but then seemed to be back in control. I’m still not quite back to my good habits, but am improving. I know how you feel about the cost of health — My brain scan was $1800, and the insurance company is only covering $700 — I’m being thrown into a “doughnut hole” for the next $2500. Ouch! I was upset for about one day, and then I read about a singer who had a brain hemorrhage and died last week, so I’m glad I got it checked out. Won’t it be great if your retainer does help you curtail your eating besides preventing you from clenching your teeth?
    Marsial

7. Diane Fit to the Finish
    May 2, 2011 at 1:25 am (3 years ago)

I wear a night guard when I’m sleeping because I clench my teeth too. I’ve never had to wear it during the day, although it might have been helpful when I was in the losing weight process!

8. Kerri O
    May 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm (3 years ago)

Oh, ugh, I have to wear a night guard at night because I grind my teeth. So attractive, lol.
    LOVE the spam comments. My favorite are when the grammar or spelling is so bad they’re nonsense.